I was replying to emails and comments the other day, and realized that many readers don’t use proper English when asking and answering questions.
While I understand that people sometimes don’t pay attention to casual correspondence, this habit is not helpful in their CMA exam essay preparation.
Instead of writing yet another CMA exam essay prep tips, I am going to have a quiz for all of you, because I am a fan of learning by doing.
Quiz with a Prize!
The following are extracts from actual correspondence between readers and I. All of them have one or more mistakes. It could be incorrect grammar and spelling, wrong preposition, improper use of punctuation, unspecified abbreviations or that the sentence simply doesn’t make sense.
Let’s see how many mistakes you can identify, or how you can improve the sentences, then email me with explanation.
1. Incorrect use of preposition. It should be “at” instead of “in”. Or you can rewrite the sentence with correct grammar.
Please submit your answers by June 5, 2015.
After the contest, I will transfer your answers to the comment section below to encourage further discussion.
The reader with the highest score will receive a prize of US$25. You can choose to get an Amazon certificate or direct payment via Paypal.
Potential Grammatical Mistakes in CMA Exam Essay
1. Does the exam would be online? Thanks.
2. I HAVE B, SC IN SCIENCE MATHS AND MBA IN FINANCE. SO I DONT HAVE A GRADUATION DEGREE IN COMMERCE BUT A POST GRADUATE DEGREE IN FINANCE. SO I AM ELIGIBLE FOR CMA EXAM OR NOT,
3. In my country many people not awearning about cma us..So what is the advantage i get if i complete cma us?
4. Respected sir, I have a plan for attend part 1 exam on with in May 2015 & also with membership fee renews on June 15th 2015
5. Thanks so much for ur reply
yes I need it for work directly as accountant even at first at Canada
6. hey,, I am CA and I want to know if I can get any exemptions in giving cma exam or even in 2 years working experience.. plzz let me know…
7. for essays, 1:15 hours is enough… try to complete your MC questions in 2:30 hrs…
8. CMA exams are available worldwide. You can attempt it in Canada. Good luck, I just passed both the parts.
9. I hav just completed my b.com and I wanna be a CMA can u plzz tell the steps to persue my goal and is ter any difference between CWA and CMA if yes wats it…and plzz tell the steps and requirements to be a CMA, thanks
10. Can you please recommend me some books / online study material as I wanted to get myself refrigerate for the CMA part 1.
Bonus: identify one word in the first 3 paragraphs in this post that should not be used in formal business writing.
I am far from a grammar expert myself — I spot my own mistakes from time to time throughout this site. The point of this exercise is to remind readers and exam takers that you should always try to write in proper English, be it emails, comments, tweets and text messages.
Questions and comments are most welcome.